Sunday, November 12, 2017

20 Years Ago Today

Twenty years ago today, a plane full of passengers from Vienna, Austria landed at the JFK airport in New York City.  Amongst the passengers on that Delta flight was a family of four headed to Tennessee.



My uncle and his family immigrated to US in 1995 from Yugoslavia.  In 1997, they asked my parents if they would like to move to the US.  My parents had a hard choice to make but they decided to give it a shot and filled out the paperwork.  We also had an interview at the US Embassy.  After the interview with the consular officers, they told us that they would inform us of their decision in a few weeks.

The middle school year started in September.  My brother and I had to attend and study under the assumption that we were not going to emigrate.  Before that semester, I always tried to do well in school.  That last semester was different.  Within a few days, I gave up.  I couldn't bring myself to study knowing that we would be leaving before the semester was over.  It didn't feel good failing quiz after quiz but neither did the idea of studying for tests that would have zero meaning once (if) we left for the US.

I still remember coming home after school one afternoon in late September or early October and my parents telling me that the embassy had called earlier that day.  I was so nervous because this was the big moment.  Either we were leaving or I was going to have to hit the books day and night for the rest of the semester.  My parents tortured me for two or three minutes by not saying what the verdict was.  Finally they said that we were approved!  I was so excited that I started to run around the living room.  In a way, that was my first big gamble in life and I had won the coin flip 😃.

On November 12, we got to the airport and dropped off our bags.  Then it was time to say goodbye to our relatives.  Going through security was going to be interesting.  In my backpack, I had my favorite toy.  I had refused to put it in the checked luggage because I was afraid it might get stolen 😃.  The toy was a metal cap gun.  My parents agreed to let me carry it in my backpack and let security decide if it could go through.  It looked like the one in the picture below.



It didn't take long for the security guy to ask me to open the bag.  They looked at it and we said that it was a toy.  Surprisingly, the guard let me take it onto the flight to Vienna.  Once we landed in Vienna, we had to go through another screening.  

This time around, the security guy was not as easy going.  Before we knew it, five or six guards had gathered around us and were asking us questions in German and maybe English.  Long story short, they took the toy gun away and said that we should ask for it once we arrive in NYC.  I was pretty sure that that was the last time I would see my favorite toy.  I was right.

After landing at JFK, we picked up our bags and went through customs.  After that, a shuttle drove us to a hotel where we spent the night since our flight to Knoxville was the following day.  In the morning, the shuttle dropped us off at JFK and we boarded the flight to our final destination.  

Growing up, my brother and I loved Coca-Cola.  If you had offered us Coca-Cola or water, every time we would pick coke.  It so happened that on that flight from JFK to TYS, the flight attendants were very friendly.  They kept offering us can after can of coke and we kept accepting!  After drinking three or four cans, the aircraft started experiencing turbulence.  All that coke started to feel pretty bad in my stomach.  Once we landed, I felt fine again but I had lost my desire for Coca-Cola.  That has not changed ever since.  



My uncle's family and friends were waiting for us at the airport.  They had brought flowers for my mom and had made welcome posters.  I leave you with a photo of me and my younger brother with family and friends.

Bottom Row: Ace, friend, and my brother

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was an interesting first trip across the pond back then.

      Delete
  2. Interesting story. Was there a reason your uncle's family moved to the US? A reason why your family followed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. There was a conflict and the country fell apart so they were picked to come. We followed as immediate family.

      Delete
  3. This is a great story. While this was 20 years ago, I think this is perfect of our culture accepting really smart people- even at poker, lol.

    Always been a follower, never posted before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and for the comment. It is a great country that helps others who come here legally and contribute through paying taxes.

      Delete