Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Unusual Hands

Here are some unusual hands that came up while I was at the tables.

Hand 1:  Three callers and the guy in seat 6, on the button, bets $7.  I call in the SB and the BB moves all-in for $118.  It folds to the button who says, "Let's gamble" and then calls with 8,9.  BB shows K,K.  The board runs out 6,7,T,x,x and the BB storms off after getting stacked.

Hand 2:  Four callers before it gets to me.  I call with K,2 in seat 7.  Seat 8 calls and seat 9 bets $31.  Seat 1 calls.  It folds to me and I fold.  Seat 8 goes all-in for $180.  Seat 9 thinks about it and calls.  The board runs out A,Q,10,K,J.  Seat 8 shows 6,6 and seat 9 shows 8,9.  They chop and seat 9 says he was hoping to win like the guy in the previous hand with 8,9.  If only I could have seen the flop!

Hand 3:  I was involved in this hand.  I'll let you try and figure out this one.  Seat 10 calls and seat 1 calls.  I'm in the SB with A,9 and call.  The guy in the BB bets $10.  We all call and the pot is $40.  The flop is A,Q,3.  It checks to seat 1 who bets $15.  I call, the BB calls, and the pot is $85.  The turn is 9.  It checks to seat 1 who leads out for $45, only I call, and the pot is $175.  The river is a blank and I bet $65.  He raises to $130.  A little bit about the opponent.  He is probably around 27-35 years old.  He could be African American or Latino.  He is a solid player.  I have not seen him get out of line.  He wasn't the type to make big bets to put pressure on his opponents.  When he min raised on the river, I thought he had a pair at least.  I called

What do you think he had and what would you do?

6 comments:

  1. It's hard to respond to these types of puzzles without any information on villain. Weird spot for a guy who limp-calls preflop. Can you take all big Aces out of his range (likely)? So, what is he raising the river with? AT? Doubtful. Any worse Ace. Doubtful. A pocket pair? Extremely doubtful. Bluffing a missed draw? Would be horrible, particularly with the min-raise. So, what's left in his range? A3, 33, 99... Unless this is a really bad player, you're beat. But you're calling $65 to win $370. If it's me . . . prolly depends how many beers deep I am. But I can probably find a fold simply because I only see one hand I'm beating . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, PPP. I will update the post to include a bit about the player.

      Delete
  2. The limp/call pre is probably telling; should narrow that range as P3 described (MAY be able to add A9 to that range, but would assume he's normally check calling that flop, rather than leading). He leads the flop, so we can assume some part of that hit him. The min-raise on the river indicates he's very strong - putting him on 33 or 99; I don't think he would be min-raising 2 pair there, so I think A9 is only a small part of that range. Really can't be a bluff. 33 or 99 it is.

    s.i.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You were on the right track with A,9

      Delete
  3. i think u lost, but id would be the one jacking it up on the turn. why did u only call?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We chopped, I wanted to see a blank river before building the pot.

      Delete