Saturday, December 31, 2016

The Last Post of 2016

Today's post will be a summary of 2016.  I'll cover few topics including poker, golf, and blogging.

Let's start with the most positive topic: golf.  2016 will be remembered as an enjoyable year of golf.  I'm not sure how many rounds I played but it is safe to set the over/under at 30.  The scores were decent and on average I played to a 15 handicap.  I got to play at some nice venues and it wasn't that expensive.

And just when I thought the season was over, the golf gods delivered a late December present.  A 65 degree day with no wind.  I called up my buddy and we teed it up one more time.  I played in short sleeves.  The course we played is closing down in January for a three month renovation.  As you can see in the photo below, all the bunkers have been emptied.  If you look closer, there are two balls near the flag on the 18th green.  Both of us had to chip over the sand-less bunker.  I saved a par and won the match!



Switching gears, let's talk poker.  2016 will be remember as the year that made me realize tournaments are more fun than cash games (CG).  The CG at the beginning of the year went well because I ran good.  In the second half of the year, my run-good returned to normal.  I played tired and loose.  I payed off players that I shouldn't have and a lot of my opponents' flushes got there.  I played a little over 100 hours and I felt like it was a lot.  The graph below shows the overall results.  Maybe if I had 200 to 300 hours each year, CG would be worth it.  As a rec player, I rather play 10 to 20 tournaments per year and let the chips fall where they may.


That brings us to the last topic of 2016, this blog.  This is my 52nd post of the year.  Even though I didn't start until April, I managed to average one post per week.  I started the blog because I enjoy writing, I wanted to share poker hands and get feedback (thank you all who commented), and I wanted to write-down some of the good times before I forgot the details.

This was my first try at blogging and it was fun at times.  I'm undecided if I'll continuing in 2017.

Thank you for reading and have a Happy New Year!

2 comments: